I have a foggy memory.
My short term memory is worse than most. I will ask you the same question twice and I often walk into a room and forget what I went in there for. It is very frustrating. But alas my fellow foggy headed friends for I will share with you my tips for keeping things in mind. Make sure to write these down.. 😉
- Write it down. This is by far the best and most cliché advice I can offer. I write EVERYTHING down and still I sometimes forget. Write it in your phone, on your calendar, sticky note it to the fridge, staple it to your head, whatever just put it somewhere you will see it.
- Get a wall calendar. Having a phone calendar is good but I find having reminders on the wall is so helpful because I can look up and very quickly see if I have forgotten something or if something is upcoming. I keep mine by my desk, put yours somewhere you will be able to easily see it every day.
- Ask someone to remind you. If you live with parents or have a roomie or a partner or if your cat speaks broken English ask them to remind you. Sometimes they will sometimes they won’t but it’s another chance to remember!
- Ask someone to text you. If I have something to remember in the morning I will ask someone to text it to me but I wont open the message because when I first wake up, I check my phone and I will open it and remember.
- Leave a “landmark”. For lack of a better word, I mean if you have no pen and paper to hand find something that will remind you of your thing. Gym at 7am? Leave your trainers by your bed.
- I had a really good one for this one, but I forgot…. No i’m kidding. :’)
If you do one of these things then you might be okay. I find doing a mixture of all of these things helps me. I very rarely forget anything important anymore and if I do it is because I did not write it in my calendar.
Having a foggy memory sucks, but there are ways to improve your memory. I heard doing crosswords is supposed to be good. My personal preference is reading. Be it a novel, the newspaper or even an online article anything that will get those eyes flickering and the old hippocampus ticking! I really recommend reading, if you enjoy reading blogs like this one then try to do that for at least 20 minutes a day. Even a gossip magazine is okay, anything that will work the memory muscles. I personally find it beneficial to read an article and then try and tell someone about it, this works my short term memory because I have to really think and remember the details of what I read.
Do you have any tips on how I can improve my short term memory?